There are a lot of books written in settings that are used for games, and most of them aren’t that great. The Dragonlance Chronicles are AMAZING. I picked the first up at a convention when I wanted to just chill for a bit (walking all day is not actually that fun) and boy am I glad I did! Also, I play DnD and I played a game in this setting which was also a whole lot of fun :-).
Title: Dragonlance Chronicles, first book is Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Author: Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis
Length: Trilogy, each book is about 450 pages
- Lovely traditional fantasy world setting
- Excellent characters and character development, you can’t help but love them dearly throughout the books
- A middle book that doesn’t suck!
- Epic plot of saving the world done quite well
- Amazingly poignant death scenes (not telling who!) that will make you cry in a good way
- Happy(ish) ending, yey!
- Honestly, I’m having a hard time thinking of any, but it was a fairly traditional fantasy setting, and so the magic and gods were all rather typical for the setting
- One of the characters is conflicted between two lovers, which generally tends to annoy me (just pick one!)
Summary: They will make you cry, so avoid reading the third one in an airport (so embarrassing!). If you are a fan of high fantasy, however, they are very well written in a traditional setting, and if you play Dungeons and Dragons, they are an excellent introduction into the setting!
PS: Has anyone else played a DnD campaign in Krynn? http://www.dlnexus.com/fan/rules/modules/23006.aspx is a link to a module that some friends and I played (one friend wrote it) that takes place in Krynn if you guys really loved the books!
Til next time
Pingback: Time of the Twins by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman | aboutthestory