This is just the first book in a trilogy, but who knows when I’ll have time to finish the other two books! This book is set in the same universe at the Dragonlance Chronicles and follows three of the main characters from that trilogy into the future (and past >.>). For those of you who didn’t read my Dragonlance post, these books are in a universe created as a Dungeons and Dragons setting and have all the trappings of high fantasy.
Title: Time of the Twins, Dragonlance Legends Vol 1
Authors: Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
Pages: 398 paperback
Setting: Krynn is a world with magic and gods and lots of the typical fantasy races.
Premise: In the last trilogy the heroes saved the world from an evil goddess, but in the process one of the heroes, Raistlin, turned evil. His twin brother, Caramon, didn’t take this well and is still having trouble dealing with his new place in the world. Now, however, Caramon and his friend Tas (a kender, so cute!) have to go save the world (past and present and future) from Raistlin and there is time traveling to do so :D.
- Character development, the twins learn a lot about each other
- The plot is pretty epic since the twins are involved in several of the biggest events in history
- Time traveling dynamic is pretty well done, since that can be difficult with the whole is time deterministic and fixed or fluid etc
- The main female character is a bit too naive for me and it’s frustrating that she doesn’t really seem to learn
- As all of these books have been, the pace is more relaxed then modern readers might care for, though I found it nice
- Pretty much dominated by good men and evil/naive women, which is unfortunate
- Tas is not in enough of it, he is the best (though then it would probably be called Time of Tas…)
If you’ve liked the previous Dragonlance books, you will probably like this one as well. If you haven’t read first trilogy, you should probably do that before reading this one, since I really think a previous love of the characters is necessary to really enjoy this book.